It’s no surprise that most of us experience a good deal of stress each day. There’s either never enough time or when there is we’re drowning in all of the responsibilities that we’ve taken upon ourselves. Whether it’s physical stress or emotional stress – it’s all stored IN the body. Stretching is such a vital tool to incorporate into your daily life in order to lower stress levels by bringing blood flow into stagnant areas of the body and increasing serotonin. By lengthening the muscles you relieve tension. The great thing about stretching is that it can be done anywhere at anytime. Here are a few ways you can incorporate stretching at work, at home, while making your coffee in the morning, or right before bed.
Upper Back Stretch:
- Stand with your knees slightly bent or sit up straight.
- Clasp your hands in front of you, arms parallel to floor.
- Keep your head relaxed.
- Round your upper back. Push hands forward, palms away from body.
- Hold for 20 to 30 seconds, breathing steadily. Repeat 2-5 times.
- Place your right foot in front of you.
- Hinge at the waist to lean your torso forward toward the extended right leg, and bend your supporting knee.
- Slowly flex your right ankle so that your toes are pulling up toward your body.
- Hold for a cycle of relaxation breathing and then repeat with the left foot.
Reclined Belly Twist
- Lay on your back with your knees hugged in towards your body
- Bring your arms out to the sides so that your wrists are in line with your shoulders
- Slowly begin to drop your legs over to the right with the knees still bent
- Feel free to bring your right hand on top of your left leg as a weight to deepen the stretch
- Turn your gaze past your opposite shoulder to complete the twist from neck to low back
- Focus on your breathing, visualizing your belly lifting with each breath in and dropping with each breath out
We hope that these quick stretches leave you feeling calmer, looser, with a more open mind so that you can continue on with your day in a better state of mind. If you’d like to incorporate more stretching into your life, Heal. has plenty of beginners yoga classes to choose from and customized stretching sessions for your specific needs! Feel free to reach out to us via Email or call us to set up a time to stretch!