The benefits of yin yoga are endless. We take into consideration not only the postures themselves, but also the breath that is needed to tap into your parasympathetic nervous system! Your parasympathetic nervous system is also known as “rest and digest”. This system activates the more tranquil functions of the body; those that help maintain a healthy, long-term balance. It also helps to produce a state of equilibrium in the body! Yin yoga paired with specific breath exercises are what will take you away from the fight or flight response that you’re probably used to being in day in and day out.
Here at Heal. we have a structured approach to our yin yoga classes. As you may or may not know, all classes are geared towards beginners and practitioners of all levels. Here in Altamonte Springs we have such great yoga studios in the area where you can go to try out all those funky yoga postures and transitions but here at Heal. we bring you the basics.
Allow Heal. to be the yoga studio that doesn’t really feel like a “studio” per say, but more like your yoga home! The one and only full service holistic health and wellness center to cater to all types of bodies, stress levels and goals. We’re here for you!
Now onto the benefits of Yin Yoga….
- Yin yoga increases flexibility and mobility. In yin, we hold our postures anywhere from 1 minute all the way up to 5 minutes depending on which body part we are targeting and what our goal is. This deep practice works right into the connective tissue through longer holds and we have all the props you may need in order for this practice to be exactly what you need. There is hardly any effort in yin yoga aside from holding the posture in a relaxed state using bolsters, pillows and blocks with the help of your breathing.
- You can practice yin yoga ANYWHERE. Don’t think that you always have to drive up to Altamonte Springs in order to enjoy some YOU time. We make sure that the sequences we provide you can easily be done at home if you’re ever getting out of the office late or have to stay at home with the kids. Yin yoga is perfect for the busy stay-at-home parent and even the athlete that needs more flexibility, mobility and overall better posture!
- Yin fosters self-love. It’s no doubt that when we considered bringing Yin Yoga to Heal. in Altamonte Springs we intentionally knew it was the best way to have people start practicing self-care simply because it really is such an intimate, slow and gentle type of yoga to practice. Yin yoga forces you to slow down, take time for yourself to just BE. When else do you get to do that?
- Two words, stress-relief. As we touched on earlier, yin yoga paired with specific breathing exercises helps to shy away from the “fight or flight” response that we are in a majority of our day into a more calmer, serene state of being or as we like to call it “Rest and Digest” mode. Not only will you feel relaxed after class, but you’ll begin to notice that with a consistent practice your sleep becomes deeper and longer, your joints don’t squeak and crack as much as normal, the breath that you learn during class can be applied to your daily life and so much more. This is such a great step into taking your health back into your own hands.
- It teaches you to persevere. One thing that yin yoga has taught me and many others is that because we are so still in these longer periods of time, it forces us to really sit with how we’re feeling and doing on that given day. It shows us that no matter what, if we can just BREATHE through the discomfort of not talking or moving, we can essentially breathe through whatever mini challenges or obstacles may arrive OFF of our mat in our daily life.
- Yin yoga brings a meditative-like quality to your life. Whether you want to think of meditation as just sitting criss cross applesauce with your eyes closed and your hands on your knees for long periods of time or not; your yin yoga practice in itself IS meditative! How? Well, the definition of meditation is to focus on something on purpose. All that you’re focused on during yin is your breathing (3 count inhales… 5 count exhales), the posture you’re in, the stretch that you feel, the soft cooling air on your skin, the fabric touching your body, the sound of the instructors voice and so on and so on! See? Even just bringing awareness into all of those little missed details is meditation. If the idea of meditation scares you, perhaps taking a yin yoga class at Heal. in Altamonte Springs might be exactly what you need to start a mindful lifestyle!
- You get to know yourself. It’s just you, yourself and your body in yin. The outside world tends to dissolve and melt away when you are in those deeply meditative postures for long duration of time. It’s during your yin practice that you can press pause on your outside thoughts.. ask we call it “the monkey mind”.
- You get to work through those deep seated emotions. Not only is yin yoga great for your physical body, but it’s such a powerful way to heal anything you’re holding onto that you no longer need!! When you as deep as you can during yin, especially in the hips where most of us hold our tension, stress, anxiety, fear, trauma and more, you really start to feel those emotions you had pushed down for so long resurface. And that’s totally okay! Better out than in as I say. Heal. is a safe space for you to move through and feel whatever it is that YOU need for healing.
- The Yin “Afterglow” Effect. Yes, it’s real! You’ve gotta come in for a yin yoga class at Heal. to see what we mean! Let us know if you have any questions or would be interested in taking class.
We’ve got memberships and packages readily available for you to experience all the wonderful benefits of yoga, dry salt therapy and even massage! Give us a call at 407-300-5364 for more information! We can’t wait to have you in!