It can be easy to get carried away with the inevitable and at times unavoidable stress that comes with the Holiday’s. I’m sure that you can think of just about a million things left to do on your Holiday to do list, but have you put YOU on that list?
Does stress somehow manage to sneak it’s way in to your holiday excitement? If so, you’re not alone! Even in times where you’re having fun, adding extra activities and commitments to an already full plate can really be stressful. Just remember, in the midst of all the holiday hustle and bustle it’s important to take care of yourself!
It’s never fun to try to shop with family, bake cookies with your little ones or sing holiday carols when you’re feeling run down, sick or tired. The joyful Holiday spirit comes a little bit easier when you have your emotional and energetic tank full. It feels good to give from a full cup!
The best part of self-care through the Holiday Season? It’s accessible, easy and inexpensive. Gradually doing simple things throughout your days can significantly boost your overall wellbeing. At Heal. in Altamonte Springs and Winter Park, we are here for you every step of the merry way of this Holiday Season. Here are some self-care tips to help boost personal well-being this season.
1) Breathe. Allow yourself to take deep, cleansing breaths as many times as you need throughout the day, they help you to relax the body, mind and spirit!
2) Know your priorities. Remember what’s most important to you to help overcome feelings of overwhelm. Give yourself permission to finish the most important things first to create a sense of peace – then any extra time can go towards satisfying the rest of your Holiday demands.
3) Give from a full cup. Like we mentioned earlier, you can’t give your best when you’re feeling your worst. Make a point to do something nourishing for yourself. It can be as simple as a warm cup of tea every night before bed or a relaxation massage at Heal.
4) Take a “YOU” day. We made this one easy for you all. *wink* Join us for a Relaxation STAY-Cation here in Altamonte Springs on Saturday December 7th. This “YOU” day is exactly what you deserve. Click here to learn more.
5) Practice Presence. No matter what you’re working on throughout the day, especially if the kids are home or you’re stuck in traffic on the way back from holiday shopping – allow yourself to pause, notice and bring awareness to all of the experiences happening within you and outside of you. The color on the trees, the smell in the air, the temperature of the sun, etc.
6) Listen to Your Body. So many people ignore or override their body’s signals. Really listen to the cues your body gives you during the added stress of the Holiday season. You know YOU best. Hungry? Eat! Sleepy? Sleep! Cranky? Do yoga! See? Simple!
7) LAUGH! Laughter is such healing medicine. Now a days during the holiday season, there are plenty of funny Holiday/or not holiday themed movies to choose from! Call up your funniest friend and just allow yourself to be silly and let loose, even for a little while! Sing, dance, rejoice!
8) Allow yourself to receive healing. Self-care means paying attention to more than how much you eat or exercise. It also requires paying attention to thoughts and feelings. Optimal health means functioning at your best in all areas of life – physically, mentally, emotionally!
9) Give with Gratitude. Just saying “thank you” to yourself or to the world around you can instantly shift you from a state of STRESS into a state of PEACE. The best way to counteract any lower feelings is to give. Give with Gratitude and kindness. Here are some ways for you to GIVE the gift of relaxation this year.
If your holiday season becomes overwhelming, stressful, fast paced or just hectic in general – know that you, too, have a choice in setting clear boundaries, spending time with yourself through acts of self-care and honoring YOU. Practice self-compassion, gratitude and an open heart and all will be well.
Wishing you a happy Holiday season from all of us here at Heal.